05 August 2011

La Boca, Chinese Food, and Gauchos

This week was quite a cultural experience! On Wednesday after receiving my student visa at the immigration building, I went to La Boca with a group of girls! There is a famous street in that area of town called Caminito or "Little walk" where the buildings are painted with an array of beautiful, bright colors. While we were walking down the street, we saw a camera crew that was filming for a Portuguese soap opera! It was pretty cheesey, but romantic at the same time. The actress was by far one of the most beautiful people I've seen in my life. Also, there were tango dancers on the street and music playing the air. ¡Que romantico!



Then on Thursday I went out to dinner in "Chinatown" with the group of friends I made at church on Sunday! There was great food and great company! We spend the whole night chowing down on Chinese food, telling stories, comparing accents, and more :) I must say that "Palitos" makes a mean ginger chicken! Turns out my friends from Columbia think I'm a crazy gringa, but they like me! They also said I'm going to be a good teacher because I was the first American they've met that has been able to explain the difference between either and neither to them in a way that made sense!!
Amber, André, me, Tara, Estefania, Julian
Then today was simply amazing! I traveled with my program to San Antonio de Areco which is in el campo (the country) an hour and a half outside the city. There we rode horses, ate carne asada, learned folklore dances, and watched a gaucho show! In the show, they threw spears, tamed the horses, stood on them, and did other crazy stunts! It was like nothing I have seen before. Very unique! The day was so relaxing, but I also loved how there were so many cultural things for us to see and explore. Not to mention amazing food!! Steak, chicken, salad, empanadas... :)Yum! I had the opportunity to ride around the ranch twice on my horse and I remembered how much I love horses. They are so huge and beautiful! We also all learned how to prepare maté, a South American herbal tea. I love winter here because it reminds me of fall in Boulder! Boots, sweaters, street markets, tea, the smell of burning leaves, warm sunshine, just lovely! ¡Chao amigos!

1 comment:

  1. Hola Abi! Thanks for posting such great stories! I am so glad you got to have some fun memories before school started. Sorry to hear about your sinus infection. I am glad Cucumber is there though. I am really jealous of all the steak you are eating. Steak > my chicken nuggets. You look really cute in all your fall outfits, but it makes me cold looking at them. Also I am loving that black jacket--if it is the one we looked at online. Yesterday at work a man came up to me and started speaking Spanish, clearly I didn't understand, but then he started laughing and told me he was just messing with me. Then after half an hour of telling me stories, he said goodbye in Italian. Wish you were there. I miss you to Antartica and back, Jan

    ReplyDelete